CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 23, 2009

We're finally doing it! Our first Austin Vida Showcase!


That's right! After a year of working our asses off to make Austin Vida what is today, we're throwing a party to celebrate. We hooked up with local Latin music experts, Conexion Rockera, to bring you some of the best from Austin's Latin music scene. I couldn't be happier with the line up we were able to put together for this one. Everyone of these artists will have people dancing and partying all night long. You're all invited if you're over 21. We don't do this often, but when we do, we plan on doing it big and doing it right. Here's some info about the performing artists.

Maneja Beto:


Maneja Beto is one of my personal favorites. Why these dudes never got picked up by a major label is beyond me. No one sounds like them. I can't really compare them to anyone you'd know other than maybe telling you they are sort of this unique hybrid or fusion band along the same lines as Cafe Tacvba or Aterciopelados. The genre they kind of go by and I use also is indie en Espanol. They fuse Brit-pop, indie, jazz, traditional Latin percussion, cumbias and  lately some funk even. They recently released their latest single, "Ofrendas", and plan on releasing one single per month. I'll make sure to keep you posted. I'm stoked they agreed to headline our showcase, as they represent the standard in Latin Alternative coming from Austin.

El Tule:


El Tule has been playing in Austin for around six years or so now, and now is the time to see them live. I don't think I wold have said that two years ago. I am not saying that to BS anyone, but they've gotten so much better live this past year. I am not sure what it is attributed to, but I think it is because they picked up the tempo and ditched the whole Latin reggae thing. When I saw them at Xemumba Fest in October, I was shocked and impressed. Their new album, Volumen II, was just released last week.

Did I mention that these dudes are mostly white dudes? Including the lead singer? You'd have a hard time finding someone more Mexicano that John Dell. His border Spanish is better than your high school Spanish II level education. He gets down too, trust me. He can have my brown card anytime. Like Asher Roth, Eminem or even Channing Tatum, he too proves being white is no longer an excuse not to get down. If only there were more people like you John Dell...

Este Vato:



Este Vato, translated "this dude', is one of the best new up and comers in the Austin music scene. I swear they came out of no where. I didn't even knew they existed last year. I first saw them at Trophy's in February. I remember my friends and Austin Vida crew members, Angela and Mari, went with me that night. We were all surprised that Este Vato were as good as they were. We expected worse to be honest. Is that fair to say? Probably not, but I'm just being honest with you here.

When Chano came took the mic and started rapping, I was like "aawwww shit!". He sure did. They play with a live DJ, drawing comparisons to Ozomatli or being called a young Ozomatli. I wouldn't go that far yet, but the potential is certainly there if these young vatos keep at it. I dig their cumbia stylings and overall swag.With their debut album in the works, expect big things for Este Vato in 2010.  More importantly, I expect to
 be getting down with Este Vato on December 19th at The Beauty Bar.

DJ Chorizo Funk:



The showcase starts at 9:00pm with DJ Chorizo Funk (love that name!) spinning to get the party started. With a name like that, you know he's a bad ass. He has to be. I have to also give "kudos" to The Beauty Bar for letting us put on an all Latino showcase. Usually bands like Este Vato and Maneja Beto have to play with non-Latin bands in order to play a show there. Maybe it is because that is how the individual promoter has been booking shows with those artists, I don't know. Either way, it has been a long time since I remember seeing  an all local Latino band showcase there. I hope to see you all there. All are welcome. It's only $5 to get in if you're 21 or older. Feel free to send me an email with any questions. Thanks for all your support, for reading my blog, Double Stereo and Austin Vida.


Bookmark and Share

No comments: