CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

(8/14) Preview: Mother Falcon at The Parish


Mother Falcon has been on my list of bands to see here in Austin for a long time, but I have to be in the mood to see something really relaxing in order to see them. When I go see a show, I usually need that live show experience to amp me up and get my blood flowing. If you read any of my online publications, you know that I always go see the hard stuff live and the listen to the slow stuff I review at home. I may make an exception Thursday night as this will be the last chance I have to see Mother Falcon before I start work for the fall semester.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Mother Falcon, they are orchestral indie collective of young musicians. When I mean collective, I mean collective. Here is the list of members and which instruments they play:

Laura Andrade - Cello
Rita Andrade - Viola
Italo Benavides - Cello
Diana Burgess - Cello
Kira Bordelon - Violin
Clara Brill - Violin
Nick Calvin - Cello
Maurice Chammah - Violin
Yun Du - Violin
Nick Gregg - Vocals, Cello, Mandolin, Guitar
Austin Harris - Violin
Tamir Kalifa - Vocals, Accordion
Matt Krolick - Trumpet
Gilman Lykken - Bassoon
Josh Newburger - Violin
Claire Puckett - Vocals, Guitar, Piano
Matt Puckett - Vocals, Saxophone, Glockenspiel
Luke Stence - Bass
Isaac Winburne - Saxophone, Percussion, Piano

I often describe them to folks as sort of a young Balmorhea. These kids are amazing musicians and The Parish really is the ideal venue for them. The Parish has the sound, lighting and aesthetics suited for a small orchestra. Catching them Thursday night would also be good because they may be performing new songs off their new album they are currently recording. I'm looking forward to hearing it whenever it does come out. This Thursday's show is also the last show with their original line up. To get a better idea of what Mother Falcon looks and sounds like, watch this live video clip of them performing at Mohawk.




Doors are at 7:00pm. Advance tickets for this show are not available. Admission is $8 at the door. All ages are welcome. Also on the bill with Mother Falcon are Battle Bend and Little Lo. For complete details, visit The Parish online here


Bookmark and Share

No comments: