CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Your girlfriend's favorite band will soon be The Material


Remember in my blog intro when I said I rarely watch MTV2? Well, last summer they got me when they had this Mountain Dew sponsored battle of the bands. It was the first time in a long time that I actually was glued to MTV2. I enjoyed watching something that was actually about new music. Well, as good as the groups that made it on to the show were, the only group I remember was the runner up. The runner up was this San Diego, California based group called "The Material". What caught my attention was their awesome cover of One Republic's "Apologize".

I know what my friends are going to say already when they see the video and The Material's Myspace page. I have a female lead singer fixation of some sort. Sure that's part of it, but not the selling point. The band or individual artist has to be talented and cool. Being backed by a good band helps too. The Material has all of that,what the industry refers to as "it".

Colleen, the lead singer, has a great voice. Its sweet enough for your girlfriend to like but rock enough not to suck. Her voice is perfect for the pop rock genre they fall under. With songs such as "The Truth About Reality" and "Moving to Seattle" , they are hard and edgy enough for them not to be labeled a guilty pleasure. I think my man card can stay in my wallet for now. I mean if it is cool enough for me to dig Paramore or Cruiserweight, then I can dig The Material with no problems. If I were a music director or producer of a CW show, I would have used a song of theirs already on Smallville or a One Tree Hill episode already. The Material has the perfect sound for those audiences. Now that the fact that I know that may be grounds for revoking my man card.

This summer my wish to see The Material live will come true. They will be playing at The Red Eyed Fly on Red River with my friends The Banner Year. I am not sure who else is on the bill with them yet. They are scheduled for Tuesday, July 22nd and are the in the middle of the bill somewhere so people will have to show up early to catch them. It will no doubt be one of the best middle bill bands you will ever get to see. Fellas take your lady. Hopefully they perform their cover of "Apologize". After all, it is what got my attention in the first place. MTV2 owes them a thanks for that because I always seem to pass that channel by 99% of the time.

Anyway, I wanted to conclude this blog by sharing their video they viraled around on a Myspace bulletin. Check them out, comment, and show them some much deserved love or hate. If you are hearing of them for the time, you're welcome. That's what this blog is for.

"The Truth About Reality" Video:




No comments: