CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday Night Show Pick: Driver F at Emo's



Driver F is one of the best young bands to come out of Austin in a long time. They were all the buzz last year when their album, Chase The White Whale, was receiving much critical acclaim. Critics young and old seemed to enjoy the pop punk sounds of these young Woodlands natives who now call Austin home. They lost a little steam this year in terms of buzz, but not in terms of energy or winning over new fans. Having been so busy with other projects, I have yet to make it out to one of their shows this year. Shame on me indeed.



Driver F in the studio
I admit, I know of couple of the Driver F dudes personally. Tyler and (W)Andy were classmates of mine at St. Edwards. In fact I sat by Tyler almost all year before I figured out he was in a band. I got wind of it when checking out information for a Cruiserweight show, another local favorite pop punk band of mine here in town. It was funny because 1) I had no idea Tyler was a rock star, even though he has the perfect personality for one and 2) the video for their single, "Two Words Mr. President: Plausible Deniability", nearly had me spit out my drink as I was watching for the first time. What's up the song title you ask? I have no idea. They just picked random stuff and named their songs that way I guess. It is still one of their best songs and it gives you a good sense of what Driver F sound like. Think pop punk with brass, but not ska brass. Check it out:


Driver F - Two Words, Mr. President: Plausible Deniability from dane hurt on Vimeo.

To learn more about tonight's show and about the other bands on the bill, check out the post on Do512 here. You'll also enjoy Zlam Dunk. They're dance punk craziness is one of the best live shows around for those who like young, loud and crazy.

Driver F is currently in the studio working on a new album due out next year. When I asked lead singer Tyler Welsh about it, he said "All I can say is we are really working hard on demoing new songs right now and getting ready to record to have a new album out before next summer. Who knows we might play a couple of them at the show". There you have it. Check 'em out.

Helpful Driver F Links:

Driver F Facebook

Driver F official website

Driver F Merch on Double Stereo


Bookmark and Share

No comments: