CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ian's Indie Girl Crush Series, Volume Three: Yuki Chikudate


Yuki Chikudate

In what began as an inside joke between a friend of mine and I, my indie girl crush series posts have my highest numbers this year. It is evident that blog readers love such silliness, including my friends who have already asked me who my next crush will be. I have also had publicists send me a few suggestions for my next crush, which isn't something I planned on doing again really. Like I mentioned, it was an inside joke amongst a few friends and it has now taken on a life if it's own. If this sort of column can help me introduce cool new bands or artists to the masses, then I will go indie girl crazy.

My most recent indie girl crush is a little different from my previous crushes, Ingrid Michaelson and Zooey Deschanel. I recently became twitterpated with a beautiful lead singer of the Brooklyn indie group whose name means "casual sex" in Japanese. My latest indie girl crush is none other than Yuki Chikudate from the fantastic indie group, Asobi Seksu. Accompanying Yuki Chikudate in Asobi Seksu is James Hannah.




Asobi's Seksu's music falls under the indie genre referred to as "shoegazing", which basically means kind of spacey guitar effects like floating notes or crafted uses of distortion. Chikudate's voice is perfect for this sort band, as it is not overpowering but can still be heard clearly. She also has a smokin' hot look that I describe to friends as indie meets mod-chic. The fact that she's of the Asian persuasion adds that extra touch.

Check out this recent video from Asobi Seksu for their single "Me & Marry" off their current album, Hush. If you're in Texas and like what you hear, you're going to have to just pick up the album as Asobi Seksu won't be back around here as they are on tour. Some of you lucky Austinites may have caught them at Mohawk recently, and if you were there, I absolutely hate you.


Asobi Seksu - Me & Mary from Aaron Stewart-Ahn on Vimeo.

For more on Asobi Seksu, visit the following links:

Asobi Seksu on Myspace

Asobi Seksu on Twitter


Bookmark and Share

No comments: